What can teachers do to help prevent bullying?
The following exercise will help you analyze your school environment, enhancing your ability to meet your obligation to learn about and reduce the incidence of bullying.
Your assignment is the following:
Take a look around your school – the classrooms, hallways, gym and library. What do you see?
Here are five questions to guide you in analyzing your environment:
- Are there many images of diversity?
- If so, what kind of diversity? Please name
- Do you think that all students and their families (and staff) would feel ‘seen and heard’ if they walked around the school, attended meetings or participated in activities?
- Do the images foster cooperation and collaboration?
- Are there images of young people thinking, problem-solving, being courageous or helping each other?